Your journey begins from Melbourne; destinations include Broken Hill, Innamincka, Mt Isa, Lawn Hill, Sweers Island, Horn Island, Thursday Island, Laura, Cooktown, Bloomfield, Longreach, Ingelara (Carnarvon Gorge) and Eulo before heading back home. What a way to see so many iconic locations getting to the Tip of Australia and back. Cape York 4WD tours included, and we can also arrange fishing tours at Cape York.
All our air tours are fully inclusive just bring your hat, sunscreen, sunglasses and money for souvenirs!
- DAY 1 MELBOURNE BROKEN HILL INNAMINCKA BIRDSVILLEYour Gulf and Cape York experience departs Melbourne at 8am for a two and a half hour flight to Broken Hill for fuel.Then its another two hour flight to Innamincka for a late lunch and a short cruise on the Cooper Creek. The creek has pelicans and a large array of other water birds. In the afternoon its a one hour flight to Birdsville over the Coongie Lakes. We arrive around 5:30pm in time for sunset drinks and dinner at the famous Birdsville Pub.
Accommodation is twin share ensuited motel rooms.
- DAY 2 BIRDSVILLE MT ISA LAWN HILLAn early morning departure so we to have as much time as possible in the Lawn Hill National Park. This is the home of Lawn Hill Gorge, one of the most spectacular gorges in the Gulf Country, with luxurious tropical vegetation, sheer red cliffs and unusual green water. The flight is two hours to Mt Isa for fuel then another 45 minutes onto Lawn Hill. We land only a short walk from our accommodation at Adels Grove.
In the early afternoon we take the 20 minute drive from Adels Grove to Lawn Hill Gorge. Enjoy a packed lunch while exploring the gorge system via the delightful walking drinks. You can explore the middle and upper part of the system by canoe and go swimming in the naturally bubbling spas while looking up at the sheer cliffs. We return to Adels Grove for pre-dinner drinks in the open air restaurant and bar.
Accommodation is in comfortable glamping tents with beds overlooking the Lawn Hill creek.
- DAY 3 LAWN HILL - SWEERS ISLAND
After breakfast depart Adels Grove for a 45 minute flight to Sweers Island, in the Gulf of Carpentaria about 23 miles off the coast. A short five minute drive will take us to the Sweers Island Resort. Here there are long stretches of golden beach, blue waters, a wealth of history, a variety of birdlife and excellent fishing. Our nearest neighbours are the local Aboriginal community, who often take visitors on their turtle or dugong hunts.
Once settled we meet at the open air dining and bar for lunch and decide on the afternoons activities. Options include: boat fishing
(which is what Sweers Island is famous for), a drive around the historic island or a walk and swim on one the local beaches. In the evening, the resorts owner, Ray will no doubt dish up a fabulous seafood meal in the open air dining area overlooking the setting sun on the ocean. Accommodation is in shared cabins. http://www.sweers.com.au/
- DAYS 4 & 5 SWEERS ISLAND HORN ISLAND THURSDAY ISLAND
Today we fly north east across the Gulf and up the west side of Cape York, over the tip of Australia and onto Horn Island in the Torres Strait. This is a two hour flight and on arrival we are transferred by ferry across to Thursday Island where we will be accommodated for the next two nights. In the afternoon we tour the interesting Thursday Island.
On the second day we will take a boat cruise back to the mainland so that you can experience the top of Australia by walking out to the tip. This is a must when on the Cape York Peninsula. A visit to Possession Island as well as around the coasts of both Horn and Thursday Islands completes the day. Accommodation that night is back on Thursday Island.
- DAY 6 HORN ISLAND BRAWMELL STATION LIZARD ISLAND
On day six we transfer by boat back to Horn Island before flying back south over Cape York. A touch over a half hour flight sees us arriving at Bramwell Station, where well take a tour of the station before lunch. After lunch its back into the air again as we follow the stunning coastline around to Lizard Island, a beautiful resort island just north of Cooktown. Landing directly on the island, a short walk brings us to the resort for the evening. See www.lizardisland.com.au for more information.
In yet another amazing location, have sunset drinks looking out over the pristine beach before dinner. Accommodation on the island is luxurious and sure to leave you well rested for the day to come.
- DAY 7 LIZARD ISLAND
Rise late and take a leisurely breakfast, relaxing in the island paradise that is Lizard Island. Morning activities are at our guests discretion, however a walk to Cooks Look, the highest point of the island, provides panoramic 360 degree views and is sure to make your morning. Lunch is served back at the resort.
The afternoon activities take us out onto the water, as we kayak around the island to a series of secluded beaches. Snorkeling equipment is available for those keen to have a closer look under the waters surface, with fish and reef life waiting to be discovered.
Another relaxing evening on the resort provides another chance to recuperate before continuing our adventure.
- DAY 8 LIZARD ISLAND - COOKTOWN
Departing mid-morning, a short flight takes us into Cooktown, an historic location that Captain Cook sought refuge at when his ship, The Endeavour, sustained serious damage during his expedition in 1770. In the late 1800s Cooktown prospered in a gold rush, however the town again dwindled in the early 1900s, before becoming an important base in World War II.
The afternoon is spent exploring the many historical sites at a relaxed pace, before retiring to motel accommodation.
- DAY 9 COOKTOWN LAURA LONGREACH
Breakfast is served early as we depart at 8:00am for Laura, a small town to the west of Cooktown. From Laura, we begin a private tour of various Quinkan rock art sites. These rock art sites were reported by an airline pilot in the 1960s, who overflew the area looking for sites before following up on foot.
Returning to Laura for a late lunch, we begin an afternoon of flying as we make our way down to Longreach. Arriving just after dark, youll watch the sun set over the vast Queensland countryside. Accommodation is at a motel in Longreach, with dinner served nearby at a local restaurant.
- DAY 10 LONGREACHAs youll have noticed on your arrival the night before, Longreach is home to the Qantas Founders Museum, a not-for-profit organization with the mission of preserving the history of the Queensland and Northern Territory Air Service. Its our first stop for the morning, following which we cross the road to visit the Stockmans Hall of Fame.
- DAY 11 & 12 LONGREACH INGELARA (CARNARVON GORGE)
After breakfast we depart Longreach for Ingelara. This is a 90 minute flight to a grass landing strip about 30 minute drive from the Carnarvon Gorge Lodge. After lunch you can relax around the Lodge or go on one of a number of short walks.
On our second day we take a longer guided walk through some of Carnarvon Gorges most notable geological formations including Wards Canyon, the Natural Amphitheatre, Wurrumbah Gorge and the Moss Garden. The sandstone formations of the Gorge and the plentiful wildlife give you much to see along the way. Dinner is at the Lodge.
Accommodation for both nights is at the lodge in twin share ensuited cabins.
- DAY 13 INGELARA EULO MELBOURNE
Our final day on our Cape York and outback Queensland experience has the most time in the air. We head for home after an early breakfast and fly 40 minutes to Roma for fuel then a further 90 minutes to a quaint town on the Parroo River called Eulo. It is a short walk to visit Nan and Ians date wine farm for a sample of their produce before lunch at the Eulo Queen Hotel.
Departing at 1pm we fly 1.3 hours to Cobar for fuel and then the last 2.4 hours to Moorabbin arriving around 6pm.
- Luxury private charter aircraft by Kirkhope Aviation
- Airfares ex Melbourne, and covering all destination legs including return to Melbourne
- Departure and arrival – Kirkhope Aviation, Moorabbin Airport, Melbourne
- All accommodation
- All meals and beverages
- In-flight snacks and refreshments
- All stopover ground transfers, tours, activities and entry fees
To download a pdf of the brochure, please click on the orange download button on the front page.
Have you considered a Bespoke Air Tour?
Our Cape York tours are fantastic, however if you would love to experience an adventure in the ruggedness of the outback with the comfort and style of five star spa resort but find it’s all too difficult, then let us help you handcraft a Bespoke Air Tour to multiple destinations in the luxury our King Air, pressurised twin-turboprop. These people did! A 9 day Cape York, NT & Kimberley air tour with 4WD, helicopter transfers, bush walking, guided tours and much more. Please give us a call if you are interested in designing your own private air charter.