Cape York Air Safari (13 days)
The thought of visiting the ‘Tip of Australia’ appeals to a lot of people, but the logistics of getting there has always proven to be a barrier. Kirkhope Aviation Outback Air Tours solve the problem with a stunning 13-day Cape York safari that includes outback Queensland, the Gulf of Carpentaria, and the Torres Strait Islands.
It’s an incredible way to see so many iconic locations: exotic scenery, interesting characters, and unique birds and wildlife, whilst making your way to the Tip of Australia and back. Cape York 4WD tours are included, and if you’re keen to wet the line, we can also arrange fishing tours at Cape York.
Like all Kirkhope Aviation Outback Air Tours, it’s fully inclusive — all you need to bring is your hat, sunscreen, sunnies, and some money for souvenirs!
Cape York Air Safari is available on demand if your preferred travel date is not listed in the tour schedule below. Give us a call if you’d like to know more.
Jul 07 - Jul 19, 2019 SOLD OUT
Aug 24 - Sep 05, 2019 More Details
Kirkhope are a great organisation - very professional. I have used them for charter flights for about 10 years and can highly recommend them. Always in safe hands.
Kirkhope Aviation are the best tour company I have ever used. From the booking process, to the itinerary, accommodation and meals, the entire trip was exciting, smoothly run and included everything you could imagine and more.
- Spectacular flightseeing over Great Barrier Reef, Torres Strait Islands and the famous Dig Tree.
- Outback Innamincka and Birdsville
- Desert Oasis Lawn Hill Gorge Cruise and picturesque Adel’s Grove
- Sweers Island in the Gulf of Carpentaria
- Norman River Sunset Cruise Karumba
- Tropical Torres Strait Islands
- Helicopter to the very ‘tip’ of mainland Australia
- Fascinating and moving “In Their Steps” WW II Tour of Horn Island
- Relaxed and beautiful Thursday Island
- Bramwell Australia’s most northern cattle station
- Exclusive and secluded Lizard Island
- Picture postcard Cooktowm
- Incredible UNESCO Laura Aboriginal Rock Art tour
- Qantas Founders Museum
- Stockman’s Hall of Fame and drover’s camp dinner
- Carnarvon Gorge Wilderness Lodge
- Charlotte Plains working Sheep Station
Itinerary: Cape York Safari (13 days)
Day 1: Melbourne to Birdsville
It’s an action packed first day of your Gulf and Cape York Air Safari as you depart Moorabbin Airport at 8 am for a short flight to Broken Hill for fuel.
Back in the air to Innamincka for a late lunch and a visit of the historic Inland Mission which was established in 1929.
Then, it’s on to Birdsville via the spectacular Coongie Lakes area. Once we have landed in Birdsville, we travel for sunset drinks at Big Red, the first of 1,140 parallel dunes in the Simpson Desert. To end the day, we have dinner and stay in one of Australia’s most iconic pubs — the Birdsville Hotel.
Day 2: Birdsville to Lawn Hill
This morning, we depart early for Mt Isa for a quick refuel, before flying down to the Lawn Hill National Park. Your aircraft will land a short walk from your tent or cabin accommodation at Adels Grove, overlooking the stunning Lawn Hill Creek.
In the early afternoon, a 20-minute drive will have you at Lawn Hill Gorge — one of the most spectacular gorges in the Gulf Country, with luscious tropical vegetation, sheer red cliffs and enchanting green water.
An electric powered boat will take you on a 2 hour cruise through the gorge to it’s summit, where you’ll find yourself in a small oasis with a beautiful waterfall. A swim at the falls and nearby bubbling spa is sometimes available. Then it’s back to Adels Grove for pre-dinner drinks in the open-air restaurant and bar before dinner.