Taste of the Outback (3 days)
The Australian winter months is a fantastic time to visit the beautiful Australian Outback and, with our Taste of the Outback Air Tours, you’ll soon understand why this tour is one of our most popular.
Taste of the Outback Air Tours can be either three or four days and include visits to iconic outback destinations, including Mungo Lake, Broken Hill, Innamincka and the Cooper Creek, Birdsville, Kati Thanda-Lake Eyre, Muloorina Station, William Creek, Arkaroola, and Flinders Ranges. Take a look at our video (below) to get an idea of the sort of activities you can expect.
All Taste of the Outback Air Tours are available on demand if your preferred travel date is not listed in the tour schedule below. Give us a call, as we have a waiting list and continually schedule new flights to Lake Eyre.
Watch highlights of our
Taste of the Outback Tour
Extended highlights of our
Taste of the Outback Tour
Apr 20 - Apr 22, 2019 More Details
Apr 28 - Apr 30, 2019 More Details
May 17 - May 19, 2019 More Details
Jun 14 - Jun 16, 2019 More Details
Jul 02 - Jul 04, 2019 More Details
Jul 22 - Jul 24, 2019 More Details
Aug 14 - Aug 16, 2019 More Details
I really enjoyed the trip; a real taste of the outback. I especially liked the Innaminka River trip, Parachilna and Brachina Gorge, and hearing about the way stations work at Muloorina. Cindy had some great stories so much history.
- Visit remote, hard-to-get-to locations in outback South Australia
- Cruise down one of the most famous rivers in Australia; Cooper Creek
- Drink in the sunset on Big Red followed by dinner in the famous Birdsville Hotel.
- Fly low-level down the Diamantina River, Goyder Lagoon and the Warburton River, culminating in a spectacular journey across Lake Eyre North
- See Lake Eyre from the air, take a 4WD tour to the edge, to see the water up close
- Learn about the amazing Diamantina and Cooper River systems feeding Lake Eyre
- Visit Muloorina cattle station or William Creek and access Lake Eyre by vehicle
- Tour the Flinders Ranges with extraordinary guides at Arkaroola and the incredible 4WD Ridge Top Tour.
- Gaze at millions of stars at the Arkaroola observatory
Itinerary: Taste of the Outback (3 days)
Melbourne to Birdsville
Your three-day Kirkhope Aviation Outback Air Safari kicks off at 8 am from Moorabbin Airport bound for Broken Hill, where you can grab a coffee while we refuel for our next destination.
Innamincka in South Australia’s remote North East is your next stop, where lunch aboard the ‘Kingfisher’ (the Innamincka Hotel’s cruise boat) while it gently meanders down the magnificent Cooper Creek is a ‘must-do.’
Then, it’s on to Birdsville via the spectacular Coongie Lakes area for sunset drinks, dinner and an overnight stay in one of Australia’s most iconic pubs — the Birdsville Hotel.
I thoroughly enjoyed visiting places I had not been to for some thirty years and experiencing again the beauty of the outback landscapes and the hospitality of the wonderful people who live there. All this and to have had the privilege to do this in a light aircraft flown by a very competent pilot.